The Fletcher Free Library is seeking an enthusiastic individual to fill our part-time Computer Assistant position. This person will work in our busy public access Tech Center and teach digital literacy skills to the public. 20 hours a week at $19.41 per hour.
This position reports to the Technology Librarian and is responsible for supporting the public in using the Library’s computers, printers, copiers, scanners and fax machines. Computer Assistants are responsible for assisting the public in using various software applications in the Library Tech Center, assisting card holders in signing on to the public computers through our time management system, and issuing guest passes to non-card holders. Provide instructional services in both individual and group settings. This position is also responsible for maintaining, setting up, and resolving issues with the Library’s computers and troubleshooting hardware and software problems. Computer Assistants perform basic maintenance on equipment, clean equipment, and perform other technological support duties as assigned.
Essential Job Functions
- Explains, demonstrates and assists library users with use of Library equipment and software applications. May help patrons with operation of personal devices.
- Teach digital literacy skills in individual and group settings. Instruction areas may include, but not be limited to, Microsoft Office, online platforms (i.e. Facebook, etc.), and mobile technology.
- Assists library users with wireless access on personal computers and electronic devices.
- Maintains current knowledge of hardware and software, and provides assistance to users with the use of the latest technology.
- Troubleshoots minor computer problems for library users and staff. Assists staff by identifying and reporting issues to them.
- Performs computer set up and troubleshooting for programs, classes, webinars, or meeting room reservation.
- Assists community groups and individuals with meeting room Audio-Visual equipment.
- Prepares and performs preventive maintenance for public and staff computers and laptops.
- Maintains operation and procedure records as required.
- Performs Tech Center opening and closing procedures as required.
- Uses personal computer, current software and other common office equipment.
- Performs other related duties and special projects as assigned.
- Uses problem solving skills to assist in determining priorities, finding timely solutions to departmental or system-wide issues and providing quality customer service. Remains calm even in stressful conditions.
- Provides quality assistance to staff by seeking to understand their needs and providing relevant support. Remains calm even in stressful conditions.
- Maintains a positive approach while doing daily tasks and when faced with adversity. Encourages and recognizes the contribution of others.
- Looks for ways to provide quality support to promote Library services.
- Tallies relevant statistics and creates statistical reports as needed.
- Maintains Main Reading Room by putting away materials and performing light cleaning duties.
- Provides information to library users about the programs and services available at the library.
- Provides basic reference service in-person, over the phone, and via email using print and electronic resources.
- Refers patrons to a reference librarian for difficult to answer or research related questions.
- Assists with Circulation Desk tasks when needed.
- Assists with training volunteers in the Computer Lab.
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Associates Degree in Computer Science or related degree; or 2 years of relevant experience.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service in person, on the telephone, and via e-mail and other forms of electronic communication.
- Ability to read, interpret, and apply technical manuals and documents.
- Able to operate, adjust and troubleshoot computer workstations.
- Must be familiar with publicly hosted email systems such as Gmail and Yahoo mail.
- Must have experience with Microsoft operating systems and Microsoft Office applications.
- Able to show a strong commitment to positive and polite public service.
- Computer Lab and/or Library experience preferred.
- Software installation experience preferred.
- Ability to work independently after training is complete.
- Must have strong problem solving skills.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Demonstrates strong verbal communication in responding to library user and staff questions. Uses clear written communication to share important information with coworkers in a timely manner. Establishes rapport with users and staff.
- Responsive to change and demonstrates adaptability.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends or work at another facility, as needed.
- Ability to assess volatile or potentially dangerous situations with patrons and follow library procedures.
- Additional experience may be substituted for a degree requirement on a two-for-one per year basis.
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
The City of Burlington will not tolerate unlawful harassment or discrimination on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status or genetic information. The City is also committed to providing proper access to services, facilities, and employment opportunities.
Applications for this position are only accepted on-line at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burlingtonvt
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 865-7145.
WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. EOE
AmeriCorps, PeaceCorps and national service alumni are encouraged to apply.