The Philbrick James Library in Deerfield, New Hampshire is seeking an outgoing, organized, and experienced person to fill the position of Library Director. Deerfield is a friendly, growing community of about 4,500 residents, and is convenient to Concord, Manchester, and Portsmouth. The library building is located at the center of the town’s historic district.
The Director is the front-line person in creating a welcoming environment for all ages. They are expected to be comfortable working closely with library patrons, town administrators, and the Board of Trustees. Excellent oral and written communication skills and a service-oriented attitude are required.
The Library Director exercises considerable judgment in making administrative decisions including personnel, public relations, collection development, budget management, program creation & implementation, and supervision. The director, who reports to the elected Board of Trustees, provides leadership to 2-3 staff and to volunteers.
The Library Director serves as the spokesperson for the library to the community and represents the library in interactions with town officials.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree in Library Science or a related field is preferred.
- A minimum of three years of professional public library experience is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and proficiency with technology are required.
· Strong proficiency with computers, library technology, internet, and social media.
· Ability to communicate effectively and maintain positive working relationships with the Board of Trustees, library staff, town administration, and the general public.
- Knowledge of management principles and public library administration including budgeting, organization, personnel, and public relations.
- Ability to supervise the Library’s collection development, including the selection and withdrawal of books, periodicals, audio-visual and electronic materials.
- The ability to multi-task and provide quality customer service is essential.
$43,000 – $46,500 commensurate with experience. Full time salaried position with municipal benefits package.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three reference contacts (two of which must be professional), to PJLibrarySearch@gmail.com. Review of applications will begin immediately; the position will remain open until filled. Anticipated start date is mid-October. For more information, see http://townofdeerfieldnh.com/Pages/DeerfieldNH_News/0262C4C6-000F8513.
Deerfield is an equal opportunity employer.