Description: This is a highly responsible administrative and management position with responsibility for the daily operation of the Rockingham Free Public Library. The director plans, coordinates, directs, and evaluates all daily functions, programs, services, and finances of the library; supervises library personnel; and works in cooperation with and is supervised by the RFPL Board of Trustees.
Job Summary: The library director is responsible for:
- Library Services: manages the provision of full library services to patrons and community organizations.
- Personnel Management: responsible for hiring, managing, and evaluating a diverse library team.
- Financial Operations: responsible for preparation, management, and oversight of library’s budget.
- Planning and Policy Making: responsible for short- and long-term planning, in cooperation with the board and staff.
- Public Relations: supervises all internal and external library communications and community outreach.
- Physical Plant Management: oversees all aspects of physical plant, grounds, and equipment.
- Professional Development: keeps abreast of new trends in library management and technology, legal issues facing libraries, and new ideas in library services.
- Board of Trustees: provides communication and staff support to Library Board of Trustees and maintains regular communication with the Board.
Job Title: Library Director
Supervisor: RFPL Board of Trustees
Job Class: Full-time, salaried, with health benefits; with sick, personal and vacation leave
Salary: range of $40 K to $44 K plus benefits (compensation is commensurate with experience and education)
Training and Experience
- An MLS degree from an ALA-accredited graduate library school
- Vermont Certification of Public Librarianship
- Experience with development and non-profit management with an emphasis on finance.
- Experience in working with a governing board.
- A minimum of seven years of library management experience with a high level of financial responsibility.
- A combination of experience and/or education which provides a demonstrated potential for performing the duties of the position.
Send cover letter and resume by Friday, April 11th, 2014 to:
Rockingham Free Public Library
Attention: Director Search Committee
65 Westminster Street
Bellows Falls, VT 05101
e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Call David Gould, RFPL Board of Trustees chair at (802) 463-3711