The Vermont Library Association (VLA) is an all-volunteer run organization that is over 300 members strong! Membership is open to absolutely everyone. The list of benefits is growing all the time and currently includes:
- The VLA News, our member-only e-newsletter, is delivered to your inbox quarterly.
- Registration discounts on the annual Vermont Library Conference and VLA Section & Committee events for any individual member and up to 2 people in an institutional membership (excluding for-profit organizations).
- Reduced membership registration for the Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award Conference.
- The opportunity to attend the New England Library Leadership Symposium (NELLS) with financial support.
- Access to the Vermont Library Substitute Pool, either as a potential employer or temp/sub employee.
- 20% off tuition at Drexel for an MS in Library & Information Science and/or Information Systems.
- Eligibility for scholarships, including up to $1500.00 for an MLS/MLIS/MSLIS degree.
- Mentor or be mentored by other VLA member librarians.
- Members are honored at the Vermont Library Conference via VLA annual awards, as well as non-VLA achievements, such as receiving Vermont Department of Libraries Certification.
- Voting rights on VLA ballots and an invitation to serve on the VLA Board (individual members only).
- Have fun meeting librarians statewide!
Your membership supports state-wide initiatives and advocacy for libraries & librarians in a number of ways:
- The John Swan Intellectual Freedom Fund is administered through VLA, coordinating a lecture series that brings nationally known speakers to Vermont.
- We research salary compensation and provide that information to librarians, trustees, and employers.
- VLA Officers represent our interests on the New England Library Association (NELA) and American Library Association (ALA) boards.
- VLA advocates for libraries with state and federal government officials as well as individual libraries faced with reading materials challenges, difficulties in information access, protection of patron privacy rights, and related issues.
How To Join
We couldn’t operate without your support! Join today by filling out the appropriate form:
Individual Membership Form (PDF, 214 KB)
Institutional Membership Form (PDF, 237 KB)
If you want to save information you type in the form, be sure to download the form to your computer first instead of filling it out in the browser.
Membership in VLA runs on the calendar year. Dues schedules range from $15 – $35 for individual members and $50 – $100 for institutions. See the appropriate form for your dues.
Need More Information?
Contact the Membership & Outreach Committee, we’re always happy to talk about your membership!
Membership & Outreach Chair