Many of you responded to our survey expressing interest in participating in a collective multi-library subscription to the Recorded Books One-Click Digital Downloadable Audio program.
Please read this letter carefully and take note of important dates (see page 2) for participation.
I am happy to announce that we have received an offer from Recorded Books for discounted pricing for Vermont public libraries. Pricing is based on library circulation. The Department of Libraries isoffering this program with the expectation that a sufficient number of libraries will subscribe and we will be able to meet the total cost set by Recorded Books. This offer will only go forward if we have enough libraries to cover the total subscription cost.
Some details about the DOL offer:
- The One Click Digital Audiobook Program offers patron access to high-quality downloadable Recorded Books titles. ALL titles are iPod compatible. This program includes titles for adults, children and young adults and includes a variety of fiction and non-fiction titles.
- The Core List of 3,400 titles (2,500 adult titles; 900 for youth) will always be available to your library patrons. No holds or waiting lists required.
- Recorded Books will add 30 adult and 7 youth NEW titles each month at no extra cost. DOL plans to retain some funds for purchasing additional content. We will have the ability to purchase from over 8,000+ additional “single access” titles from Recorded Books and other publishers. Selection will be made with input from participating libraries.
- Patron authentication is by library barcode.
- DOL has determined the pricing scheme for libraries (see below). This schedule may need to be modified, depending on the number (and size) of libraries that subscribe.
- DOL does not, at this time, plan to contribute any funding to this program, but to make this as cost-efficient as possible for libraries and to negotiate the best discount, DOL will act as the fiscal agent. This means that we will collect payment from individual libraries and forward one total payment directly to Recorded Books.
- The One Click Digital subscription is for one year: February 1, 2012 –
January 31, 2013.
We will evaluate the program before the end of the first year and poll subscribing libraries about extending the program beyond January 2013.
- For now, patron use statistics will be available only for the entire collective, but at some point in 2012 a Recorded Books service update will allow DOL to provide individual library statistics based on barcodes.
- Libraries are required to make a commitment to this service, by signing and returning a written agreement to DOL no later than December 28, 2011 (postmark date). DOL will post the agreement form later this month for download and mailing.Meanwhile, if you plan to participate, please email Renee Ancel at: firstname.lastname@example.org so we can assess anticipated payments.
- DOL will make a final decision on pricing and the viability of this program by January 4, 2012 and we will contact participating libraries.
- Payment in full will be due to the Department of Libraries no later than January 31, 2012. Checks payable to: Vermont Department of Libraries. Please do not send payment until we confirm that the project will happen.
Pricing is based on library circulation as reported in the 2011 Public Library Report (FY2009-2010) at: http://libraries.vermont.gov/libraries/stats/plstats
|Library Circulation (annual)||One Year Subscription Cost|
|Less than 10,000 circulation||$500|
|10,001 – 20,000||$750|
|20,001 – 35,000||$1000|
|35,001 – 75,000||$1200|
|75,001 and up||$1500|