Requires strong research skills and a working knowledge of basic public library concepts and resources. Demonstrates strong communication skills, both verbal and written, computer competency and proficiency with Microsoft Office applications. Have strong planning and organization skills with ability to prioritize and multi-task. Be dependable and adaptable to work independently as well as in a team situation, have enthusiasm for working with the public; tact, patience, maturity, friendliness. A bachelor’s degree is desirable.
The librarian reports to the Board of Trustees and mostly works independently. The librarian interacts directly with the public while securing the collection. She/he conducts a monthly book club for adults, a weekly Book Hour for young children, and works on other youth programs including the one week Summer Reading Camp.
- Performs functions related to circulation control: checkouts, check-ins, inquiries, renewals, data entry, processes InterLibrary Loan items, issues library cards
- Answers references questions, telephone calls and emails
- Directs patrons to appropriate resources or collections
- Provides computer assistance including OneClick
- Cataloging online in Library World
- Researches new programs, writes grant applications
- Manages collection development; reviews/researches & purchases new books
- Supervises the Librarian Assistant and volunteers
- Collaborates with the school, afterschool program, and summer camp
- Writes press releases, submits calendar events, creates posters & publicity
- Compiles and distributes monthly “Top New Arrivals”
- Regularly updates the Library’s website and Facebook page
- Evaluates donated books for the Library Book Sale
- Shelves materials and culls the collection
- Maintains and reports monthly statistics at the Trustees’ Meeting
- Submits annual reports for the Town and for the Vermont Department of Libraries
SCHEDULE: Tuesday & Thursday 12-6pm, Wednesday 12-4pm, Saturday 10am-1pm. SALARY: $14 per hour (16 hours per week).
The Jamaica Memorial Library is located in the mountains of Windham County in southeastern Vermont. This rural public library serves the town of Jamaica, population of 1,000. The JML is located in an old 2-room schoolhouse in the center of the village.
APPLY TO: Alice Abraham, Chair of the Search Committee at email@example.com
DEADLINE: Email resume and cover letter by October 16, 2017