Marlboro College seeks a Technical Service Librarian to join its Rice-Aron Library team. This librarian has primary responsibility for all of the Library’s technical services functions, including acquisitions, cataloging, processing, and maintenance of items in the Library’s collections. Along with two other librarians, this librarian also provides public service, supervises student workers, and carries out other general duties as assigned. Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
We are in search of a self-directed and collaborative professional who is prepared to take over the running of a technical services department with minimal supervision while also working closely with colleagues, faculty, and students on library and campus-wide projects and initiatives.
Marlboro College is a small, private, liberal arts college nestled in the hills of Southeastern Vermont. Primary job responsibilities will take place on the Marlboro, VT campus with occasional work at the Brattleboro, VT campus.
Title: Technical Services Librarian
Location: Marlboro, VT
Reports to: Library Director
Status: Full-time, Exempt, 12 months
Primary Position Responsibilities
- Manage library acquisitions including: processing, monitoring orders, maintaining acquisitions database, and managing book budget.
- Provide timely cataloging (original and complex copy) for library materials in all formats and languages.
- Manage and process print serials.
- Mend damaged materials.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate technical services operations and workflows.
- Supervise and mentor library assistants (4-6 part-time, work-study students).
- Provide reference and access services at public Service Desk to students, faculty, staff and townspeople.
- Plan and participate in library outreach and programming.
- Assist in daily building maintenance efforts.
- Take active role in long-term library planning.
Secondary Position Responsibilities
- Assist Reference & Technology Librarian with updates and improvements to open-source ILS (Koha)
- Inventory library collections on annual, rotating basis.
- Support library orientations for new students and faculty.
- Catalog and process items for Special Collections and College Archives.
- Actively engage in campus committee work and professional development activities.
- Assist with Collection Development.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program. Recent graduates welcome to apply.
- 1-3 years of experience in academic library setting, or equivalent.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience in cataloging using national standards (namely, RDA, LCSH, LCC, and Dewey) and tools (WorldShare, OCLC Connexion, WebDewey).
- Awareness of current developments and trends in cataloging and metadata with the proven ability to apply such knowledge to local practices.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work well with all faculty, students and staff.
- Ability to think strategically, set priorities, research tools and best practices, and manage responsibilities independently.
- Ability to adapt quickly in a dynamic, evolving library and campus environment.
- Supervisory experience.
- Commitment to diversity and social justice.
- Experience working with special collection and archival materials.
For information visit www.marlboro.edu, http://www.marlboro.edu/offices/hr/jobs/ and http://marlboro.edu/library. Submit the following in one document (doc, docx, pdf, rtf, odt) to firstname.lastname@example.org: cover letter, cv, and three references with contact information (names, address, telephone, email). Review of applications to begin immediately and continued until filled. Position begins in early August 2016. Marlboro College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.