Eliot D. Pratt Library Borrowing Policies
Goddard College grants borrowing privileges to members of the local community and individuals eligible to borrow under the VCAL (Vermont Consortium of Academic Libraries) agreement. Library users not currently affiliated with the college as a Goddard student, staff or faculty are referred to as “Community User/Borrower”. Reasonable limits are set regarding services provided to Community Users as the library’s main focus is to meet the research needs of Goddard students, faculty, and staff. Users are responsible for all items checked out on their account and must abide by these policies.
Becoming a Community User
- Individuals, age 16 or older, with a permanent local Vermont address in the county of Washington may obtain a community user ID card at the Information Desk.
- A proof of permanent local address is required. This can be in the form of a Driver’s License or letter that was mailed to the individual through postal services or shipping company.
- An individual with a current VCAL (Vermont Consortium of Academic Libraries) ID card receives borrowing privileges as Community User and does not need any additional form of ID. As alternative to a VCAL-ID card, a faculty from another Vermont academic institution may present an authorization form issued by another Vermont academic library. Eligibility for VCAL borrowing needs to be renewed once a year.
- The cost of receiving borrowing privileges as Community User is $20 annually. Goddard alumni, current WGDR programmers, volunteers that work in the library or the radio station as well as individuals with a valid VCAL (Vermont Consortium of Academic Libraries) ID or those who are entitled to a VCAL -ID are exempt from having to pay an annual fee.
Community Users may borrow up to 10 items concurrently including books and audiovisual materials from the in-house collection.
Books from the In-House Collection
- The general loan period is 28 days.
- Book loans may be renewed once for an additional loan period of 28 days upon request, provide that no other library patron has requested the item.
- Materials on renewed loan may be subject to recall.
Audiovisual (AV) Materials from the In-House Collection
- AV materials may be borrowed for two weeks during the non-residency season. AV materials may not be borrowed during residency season.
The library-defines the residency season as starting two weeks prior to the first day of the first residency (Fall/Spring) and ending the next-to-last day of the final residency as specified in the Goddard academic calendar.
- AV materials may not be renewed.
The library does not provide Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Services for Community Users.
Lost, Damaged or Overdue Materials
Reminders & Notices
- Community Borrowers are expected to treat library materials with care and return items on time and in good condition.
- The library will send a courtesy reminder regarding overdue materials via email two business days after the due date. A final overdue notice will be sent via email one week after the courtesy reminder.
- Notices will be sent via email. Borrowers are responsible for communicating change of email addresses as needed. Borrowers that do not have a valid email address will not receive any courtesy reminder or overdue final notice.
Bills for Materials
- For each unreturned or damaged book or AV item, borrowers will be assessed a $20 non-refundable processing fee and a $40 (or actual cost, whichever is higher) refundable replacement fee.
- Bill for unreturned items will be generated one week after the final notice. Library bills will be sent to the mailing address. Community Users are responsible for bills issued for their library account regardless of prior receipt of courtesy reminder and/or final email notice.
- The library will issue a credit or refund if billed items are returned within 6 months after billing date. No refunds will be given after 6 months from billing date.
Loss of Borrowing Privileges
- A Community Borrower with outstanding bills will lose borrowing privileges. Borrowing privileges will be reinstated when the account is in good standing order.
While using the library and technology resources available on site in the Eliot D. Pratt Library, users must abide by the policy entitled: “Responsible Use of Information Technology and Library Resources“. Copies of this policy are posted in the library. You may ask for a copy at the Information Desk.
Community Borrower’s Name (Please print)
Form Revised 07/08
Goddard College reserves the right to amend these policies.