Hours: 24-30 hours, additional days/hours may be required including some Saturdays and evenings.
Salary: $18-$20 per hour
Overview: Receives written and oral direction from the library director. Provides computer maintenance for the public and staff. Assists the director with library administration including staff management and budgeting. Also helps plan and implement programming, provides customer service, answers reference questions, and assists with technical services including selection, acquisitions and cataloging.
· Provide technical support: Assume responsibility for supporting patrons and staff with computers, printers, personal devices and copiers. Also perform regular maintenance and upkeep on computers including software management and updates. Experience with library websites and newsletters (Wix, WordPress, MailChimp) as well as Windows OS and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word). Other creative programs may be integrated.
· Provide customer services: conduct reference interviews, perform readers advisory, circulate materials using Library World, assist patrons in finding information at the library or online.
· Assist with supervising staff. Ability to delegate responsibilities and evaluate work.
·Prepare surveys and collect data and statistics.
· Select and assist with purchasing library materials on a monthly basis (books, DVDs, as well as other library and office supplies).
· Process new materials and provide support to the library’s cataloger. Maintain records in the library’s catalog.
· Work with the director to create programming schedule for the community. Assist with the implementation of programming, including creating advertising (posters, brochures) and preparing articles to submit to local newspapers. Design and create displays.
· Perform outreach: Develop community awareness for the library and the services offered.
·Financial responsibility: Assist in locating and submitting grant applications, works within library’s budget and assist in collecting data to help prepare budgets.
·Work with the librarian to oversee the daily operations and functions of the facility.
· Substitutes for the Library Director in her absence.
Minimum Qualifications: Knowledge, skill and ability: Knowledge of professional library principles, practice, methods and administration. Wide knowledge of books and authors, customer service, and computers. Ability to work additional hours and some weekends.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, talk, hear and use stairs. The employee may also be required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel and crouch. The employee may also be able to lift up to 30 pounds and carry books up and down stairs and push full book carts.
Experience and Education:
Bachelor’s Degree required, MLIS preferred (or work towards Vermont Public Librarian Certificate). 1-2 years of progressive library experience including administration and supervising. Willing to participate in continuing education to stay current in the library sciences.
About the Dorset Library:
The Library is in the center of Dorset, Vermont, within walking distance to cafes, galleries and shops. Dorset is a small, quaint town of 2000 residents. The library has about 900 patrons which fluctuates between seasons. Approximately 20,000 items are in the collection and the library hosts approximately 30-40 programs and events each year, not including regular programs such as Lego Club and Story Time. Dorset is home to the Dorset Players and the Dorset Summer Theater Festival and the area offers many outdoor activities such as hiking and skiing.
Please mail cover letter and resume to: Erica Shott, Library Director, Dorset Village Public Library, PO Box 38, Dorset, VT 05251 or email [email protected]. Position open until filled.