EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
The main responsibility of the Associate Cataloging Bibliographer is to perform descriptive cataloging, up to full level, on a broad range and depth of materials. Materials include print, visual, audio and digital resources. This person selects appropriate MARC bibliographic records used to support approval plan profiling and order fulfillment, verifies the validity of LC and Dewey Classification and Library of Congress Subject Headings found in cataloging copy, creates metadata records applying the RDA standard to support the provision of products supplied by GOBI Library Solutions from EBSCO to accompany purchased content, validates name and series headings against OCLC authority files, and creates, corrects and/or upgrades metadata records as needed.
- Upgrades LC CIP records to full level according to OCLC CIP upgrade specifications for physical and digital titles.
- Performs initial search and sorts of newly received approval books in a timely manner.
- Uses e-book aggregator websites to view and catalog electronic resources.
- Creates minimal-level and less-than-full cataloging records.
- Searches OCLC’s bibliographic utility, including authority files and downloads appropriate records as necessary.
- Applies RDA and LC-PCC Policy Statements to all cataloging as appropriate.
- Uses MARC21 Bibliographic format structure for all records.
- Links MARC records to appropriate inventory records in the local database.
- Reviews metadata records for accuracy and formatting, correcting as needed.
- Processes files of records for e-book packages and places on ftp site.
- Provides backup coverage for all CatalogHold Report tasks.
- Keeps accurate production statistics.
- Supports and assists Cataloging Bibliographers as required to meet departmental expectations.
- Creates and updates unit documentation.
- Provides orientation, training and feedback for new hires.
- Exhibit focused attention to detail for prolonged periods
- Possess a working knowledge of editing tools such as Microsoft Word, and preferably MARC editing programs
- Flexibility with multi-tasking and shifting priorities throughout the work day
- Work efficiently and keep work organized
- Proficient with end-user computer technologies
- Demonstrates the ability to learn new skills quickly
- Works collaboratively to get the work done expediently
- Positive attitude
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
- Willingness to collaborate as part of a team
- Ability to accept constructive criticism
- Eagerness to understand
- Accountable for one’s work
- Bachelor’s Degree required or two years’ experience in a library technical services cataloging role.
- Master’s degree in Library and/or Information Science preferred.
- Experience in library technical services or with copy cataloging.
- Strong interest in the areas of library cataloging, metadata, and/or library technical services.
- Familiarity with RDA and MARC metadata standards and library best practices.
- Knowledge of the Library of Congress classification system and subject headings.
- Editing experience or other experience requiring strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated experience using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent reading comprehension skills.
- Demonstrated experience working in a team setting.
- Ability to work in a production environment.
- Ability to apply correct judgment, analysis and evaluation to work situations and appropriately refer matters upward.
- Ability to work with multiple priorities and remain flexible in dealing with changing priorities.
- Ability to perform with interruptions, distractions and fluctuating workloads.
- Ability to participate on teams and in meetings, and support team decisions.
- Demonstrated understanding of company and departmental needs and goals.
- Ability to recognize opportunities to improve services and operations.
- Transfer learning from one situation to solve a problem in another.
- Ability to perform detailed tasks with a demonstrated concern for accuracy.
- Sufficient computer competencies, including Microsoft productivity applications and Web browsers.
- Sufficient communication skills, both written and oral, to effectively communicate issues, concerns and ideas to the appropriate personnel.
- Effective interpersonal skills to establish functional working relationships among all departments, with both professional and paraprofessional staff.
- Sufficient organizational skills to keep information accessible and to work systematically and efficiently.
- Positive Attitude
- Good Judgement
- Open Communication
- Desire to Make an Impact
- Eager to Understand
- Team Player
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law.
Nearest Major Market: Concord
Nearest Secondary Market: Manchester
Job Segment: Database, Fulfillment, Technology, Operations
– Posted July 24, 2019