SALARY: $23.33 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 11/24/20
CLOSING DATE: 12/08/20 11:59 PM
UNION: American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees
POSITION STATUS: Regular Part Time (20 hours per week)
This position is responsible for maintaining library financial records by accurately processing financial transactions including operating budget, payroll, fundraising accounts, and grants and other related duties.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist Library Director with budget preparation
- Interface with departments regarding and processing administering accounts receivable and accounts payable; including purchase orders, invoices, and payroll
- Run monthly financial reports for distribution and prepare analysis of accounts as requested
- Collect, confirm and process timesheets and overtime
- Prepare and coordinate deposit activities and perform all necessary account, bank and other reconciliations
- Responsible for maintaining fundraising and grant database and accounts with the assistance of the Development Coordinator
- Find and use accounting data to resolve accounting problems and discrepancies
- Interface with other departments/customers/vendors
- Responsible for managing statistical tracking for the library
- Update, verify and maintain accounting journals and ledgers and other financial records
- Responsible for ordering supplies for the library including but not limited to; processing vouchers, receive and verify supply orders with Library Director’s approval of associated
- costs and develop and maintain ordering supply forms with required data needed to complete orders.
- Check in and distribute incoming mail, and collect, seal and stamp outgoing mail
- Perform filing and general administrative tasks
- Report violations of library rules or other conduct effecting library security to supervisor
QUALIFICATIONS/BASIC JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma
- Associated Degree in Accounting/Bookkeeping or related degree highly preferred.
- Must have three years relevant experience in accounting and full-charge bookkeeping.
- Two years in public service setting in an office environment required.
- Accounting and computer experience required.
- Ability to interact with co-workers and public in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to learn and use fully integrated automated library system (Polaris), time clock/payroll system (Kronos) and municipal accounting systems (New World).
- Strong working knowledge of computers, word processing, accounting software and automated library systems, and standard office equipment.
- Strong working knowledge of including but not limited to Microsoft Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Internet usage and email and standard office equipment.
- Ability to work using an all digital filing system.
- Ability to obtain a working knowledge of all department operations and procedures and relevant City policies.
- Ability to learn and interpret department policies and procedures.
- Ability to obtain working knowledge of all library departments, services, programs and of public library work.
- Ability to communicate to co-workers and general public effectively.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Able to handle volatile or potentially dangerous individuals and situations following library procedures.
- Ability to sit and use computer workstation for extended periods of time.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and cultural competency.
- Perform light custodial and grounds maintenance tasks as needed.
The City of Burlington will not tolerate unlawful harassment or discrimination on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status or genetic information. The City is also committed to providing proper access to services, facilities, and employment opportunities.
Applications for this position are only accepted on-line at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burlingtonvt
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 803-540-3057.
WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. EOE
AmeriCorps, PeaceCorps and National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/HR/career-and-internshipopenings
The City of Burlington is on a hiring freeze; however, this position was deemed an exception given the importance of this role after being reviewed by Human Resources in collaboration with the Chief Administrative Officer.
– Posted November 29, 2020