Falmouth Memorial Library Board of Trustees seeks an experienced Library Director who will lead the newly expanded and renovated Library into the future. This is an exciting opportunity for a leader to provide strategic direction, market and advocate for the Library, and build partnerships. If you are an outgoing individual who is action-oriented and ready to make a difference, we would like to hear from you.
Critical skills include:
LEADERSHIP – An experienced leader with the ability to guide and direct the growth and development of the Library.
COMMUNICATION – A skillful communicator who can interact with the community, Library staff, and Board of Trustees to develop and implement strategic goals.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT – An executive with financial literacy skills to develop and administer the Library budget to meet short and long-term goals.
The Library Director will demonstrate a commitment to the future of the Library in the following areas:
- Exhibits strong leadership skills as a self-starter and a team player.
- Makes information-driven decisions.
- Maintains effective working relationships with Library staff, the Board, and Town officials.
- Engages Library staff to create a productive and collaborative team environment.
Library Management & Librarianship
- Ensures a balanced program of Library services that benefit the community and encourage Library use and support.
- Directs the development and maintenance of the Library collection of books, periodicals, films, and other Library materials.
- Possesses knowledge of the public library philosophy, principles, and procedures.
- Develops and presents the annual budget to the Board and the Town.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of Library services and directs improvements as necessary.
- Possesses knowledge of library circulation systems and emerging technologies.
- Strategically develops a budget based on long-term needs and resources.
- Successfully manages the Library budget and utilizes resources efficiently.
- Pursues grant funding, gifts, and other new sources of funding.
- Has a clear vision for the future and effectively communicates to staff and aligns resources to meet the strategic plan.
- Oversees the hiring, supervision, training, and development of Library staff and volunteers.
- Annually evaluates the job performance of personnel.
- Directs and oversees the care and maintenance of the Library building and grounds.
- Regularly reviews building needs and advises the Board in planning for future maintenance.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to foster and maintain positive public relations.
- Creates and delivers effective presentations to staff, the Board, patrons, Town Council, and community organizations.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program
- Five years of progressively responsible supervisory experience
- Proven library leadership and management experience
Salary range: $70,000-$80,000
Located on scenic Casco Bay, Falmouth, Maine is a coastal community with approximately 11,000 residents. Falmouth Memorial Library originally opened in 1952 to honor its veterans. The Library currently serves a vibrant community and is completing an expansion and renovation project. The renovated Library will have approximately 17,000 sq. feet and plans to re-open in the spring of 2020.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and references by March 13, 2020 to FalmouthLibraryBoard@gmail.com.
No Recruiters or Phone Calls Please.
Falmouth Memorial Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
– Posted February 19, 2020