The Rutland Free Library is currently seeking a Circulation Assistant to work 17.5 hours per week in a professional and welcoming environment. We are looking for a customer friendly, hardworking, skilled individual to complete our top notch team!
General duties will include all aspects of library circulation; including checking items in and out, registering new patrons, and material handling. Candidate must be able to assist with routine computer and technology maintenance. The ideal applicant will be flexible, professional, and able to juggle small details while thinking fast on his/her/their feet. Library experience is a plus.
The starting hourly rate is $16.66 per hour. Ability to work occasional nights and roughly 24 Saturdays per year is a must. This position offers some pro-rated benefits.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and application to Karen McDonnell-Circulation Supervisor. Applications can be found at www.rutlandfree.org; or stop by and pick one up at Rutland Free Library.
Under the supervision of the Circulation Supervisor, the clerk is responsible for tasks and duties related to the circulation of materials, the preparation of those materials, and the maintenance of necessary files. Much of this work involves regular contact with library users at the circulation desk. The job may also include special areas of responsibility, e.g. interlibrary loan work, computer-related functions, preparation of reports, maintenance of serials order, book orders, etc.
MAJOR CIRCULATION RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides general information to/about library services or directs patrons to reference.
2. Checks out and renews library materials to patrons; assists patrons with self-checkout machine.
3. Checks in materials; reviews for condition, performs minor repairs, returns to proper location. 4. Registers patrons for programs and library cards (and renews cards).
5. Collects fines and fees; records fees and lost items and pertinent information on patron records; prepares and sends overdue notices.
6. Answers incoming phone calls and forwards calls to the appropriate staff.
7. Searches shelves for holds, missing, and claimed return items.
8. Assists with photocopy and fax machines.
9. Sorts incoming, prepares outgoing, and maintains mail area.
10.Maintains library forms, brochures, files, etc.
11.Prepares and sends overdue notices.
12.Places and processes patron holds and interlibrary loan requests.
OTHER RELATED RESPONSIBILITIES (to be assigned as needed)
1. Readies and maintains circulation area for efficient operation.
2. Maintains periodical holdings, including related record keeping.
3. Works with librarians to add and withdraw library materials.
4. Processes books and other library materials, preparing them for the cataloguer.
5. Produces statistical reports.
6. Assists with social networking pages and the library webpages.
7. Works with specializes software as needed.
8. Prepares relevant tasks for volunteers.
9. Selects, prepares, and oversees Library To-Go deliveries.
10.Prepares the library monthly calendar.
11.Prepares signage and displays.
12.Performs initial sorting of donated items.
13.Orders library materials from vendors as requested by librarians.
1. High school diploma or GED equivalent.
2. Ability to take direction.
3. Ability to organize work for self.
4. Demonstrated ability to work for others.
5. Available for flexible work schedule.
6. Demonstrated ability to make change, use cash register, keyboard, and basic computer skills. 7. Performs other duties, assists with special projects and committees as assigned.
—posted on April 15th, 2019