Welcome to the VLA Friends and Trustees Section!
The VLA Friends and Trustees Section (formerly VLA Trustees Section) provides opportunities for trustees, friends of the library, and other library advocates from around the state to network on common interests and to cooperate in regional projects. In addition, the Section supports the State Division of Libraries in organizing an annual fall statewide conference. These conferences offer access to experts from across the country with time as well to network with other trustees.
The Friends and Trustees Section encourages friends, trustees, library directors, and those interested in Friends and Trustees’ work, to join the Vermont Department of Libraries’s listserv “LibTrustFriend.” This listserv is a place where friends, trustees, library directors, and others, can obtain ideas and resources, as well as read and participate in conversations about issues that pertain to friends and trustees’ roles with libraries. To join this listserv, please go to the Vermont Department of Libraries website.
What We Do
Here are some example areas of common interest across the state:
1. Legal Responsibilities
- Trustees have duties and obligations in directing library staff.
- Depending on the type of library (Municipal, Community, or Non-profit) Friends and Trustees have different roles and responsibilities in asset management (fiscal and physical) .
- Be aware of Vermont’s Open Meeting Law.
- Strategies to obtain high return on fundraising efforts.
- Guidelines for proper distribution and handling of these funds.
- Help kindle and harness Trustee/Friends interests in VLA group activities.
- Libraries have a strong presence in local communities; how can we best show their value to decision-makers.
- Roles are changing with new technologies, workforce and education needs, and new opportunities for cultural literacy.
The Trustees Section is guided by a Steering Committee of trustees from around the state. We welcome new Steering Committee members at any time during the year. Contact us for details.