The San Jose School of Library and Information Science is a recognized leader in distance learning. Our students earn an ALA-accredited MLIS degree through online courses that use sophisticated technology to enhance their learning experience and prepare them to effectively apply technology in their professional lives.
We offer two online program options for MLIS students. One option is designed specifically for experienced library managers and supervisors, and the other option is geared for individuals who hold an undergraduate degree and are interested in becoming a librarian.
We are enrolling now for Fall 2009.
General MLIS Program
- More than 100 classes offered each semester, giving students a wide range of topics to choose from as they build their customized MLIS degree program
- The choice to build an optional specialization, such as youth librarianship, web design, or reference services
- The ability to attend full time or part time – and take all classes online
- The option to complete an e-portfolio or thesis as the culminating experience
- Small class sizes of no more than 25 students
Executive MLIS Program
- Designed for seasoned library managers and supervisors
- Curriculum focused on leadership issues, such as human resources management, financial management, marketing, and program evaluation
- Team-based cohorts of 25 library professionals, who share the learning journey together
- Most program requirements completed through distance learning, with three short residencies
- An organizational consulting project as the culminating course
- Students complete their degree in 26 months
The deadline to apply is April 1. For more information about our
convenient and affordable online MLIS programs, check out our web site