The Bethel Library is seeking an outgoing, organized, and energetic individual to fill the position of Library Director. Bethel is located in Western Maine, on the banks of the Androscoggin River in the foothills of the White Mountains. The library is in Bethel’s historic district, facing the Bethel Common. The Bethel area is host to the Sunday River and Mount Abram ski areas, the Bethel Inn and Resort, and Gould Academy.
The Bethel Library Association is a private 501(c) 3 organization founded in 1879. It is overseen by a Board of Trustees and serves a combined population of about 4,000 people from the towns and townships of Bethel, Albany, Gilead, Greenwood, Mason, and Newry, as well as all students in the local school district. The Library Director reports to the Board and hires and supervises all staff, which currently consists of four part-time Assistant Librarians. The Library operates for a total of 22 hours a week, and is open part of every day except Sunday and holidays.
The Library Director serves as the public face of the Bethel Library, including as appropriate or needed at the circulation desk, during programs, and at professional meetings and events. Innovative and strategic leadership, now more than ever in this era of pandemic, will be vital to the success of the Library as well as the Director. In particular, the Director will:
- Plan programs and events that appeal to a wide range of community members.
- Recommend policies, including as related to staffing, and draft the annual budget for the Board’s approval.
- Oversee all aspects of the Library collection and operations, and approve expenditures as aligned with the budget.
- Supervise the staff and remain current on professional developments, including attending Maine State Library meetings and events.
- Work with the trustees on fundraising, and expand funding from grants, in support of Library operations.
- Increase public knowledge about and use of the Library’s technological offerings (wi-fi, computers, printing).
- Attend all Board meetings as a non-voting member, and Board committee meetings as necessary. Keep the Board informed of proposed changes in Library operations, such as staffing or library hours.
- Prepare reports for the Maine State Library, the Town of Bethel, and the Trustees.
- In collaboration with the Board, increase Library and collection use, with a particular focus on programming and the number of opportunities that patrons, donors, and volunteers have to engage with the library, with a focus on non-traditional users.
- Advise the Board on necessary upgrades to the library’s software systems.
- Design and create, in coordination with the Board, a ‘Friends of the Bethel Library’ group to provide support and volunteers for fundraising and programs.
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- A minimum of four years of professional public library experience is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and writing skills.
- Demonstrated collaborative team-oriented leadership and management experience, to include budgeting, organization, personnel, and public relations.
- A desire to welcome all patrons in a non-judgmental and respectful manner to uphold the Library as a vibrant and welcoming public space.
- The ability to develop the Library’s collection, including the selection and withdrawal of books, periodicals, audio-visual, and electronic materials.
- A strong proficiency with computer and library technology and software, and social media.
- The ability to multi-task with a focus on customer service.
Hours and Compensation
The Bethel Library Director is a 30-hour a week position with a starting salary of $36,400 a year. The position includes 15 days of paid personal leave.
How to Apply
Applicants should send their expression of interest, to include a resume and contact information for three professional references, one of which should be a supervisor, to BethelLibraryMETrustees@gmail.com. Expressions of interest may also be mailed to: Bethel Library, Attention Search Committee, P.O. Box 130, Bethel, ME 04217.
The position will remain open until filled.
– Posted 4/13/22