The Vermont Library Association (VLA) is an all-volunteer organization, with more than 300 members. Membership is open to everyone. We couldn’t operate without your support. Join VLA or renew your membership today by completing the application on this Wild Apricot page.
VLA membership is rolling, which means renewal occurs annually on the date of your payment (versus the first of the year). Dues currently range from $25 to $50 for individual memberships, and from $50 to $100 for organizational “bundle” memberships. VLA members qualify for extended membership at a reduced rate in the New England Library Association (NELA). Library students qualify for ALA/VLA joint membership.
- Birch – $25 – Salary of $10,000 or less.
- Aspen – $35 – Salary between $10,001 and $20,000.
- Maple – $50 – Salary of $20,001 or greater.
- Linden – $25 – Non-employed member.
- Ash – $25 – Retired member.
- Cedar – $25 – Trustee or Friend member.
- Sugar Maple – Variable – Library student ALA/VLA joint member.
Organizational “Bundle” Memberships
- Library Organization Staff – $50
- Friends Group – $50
- Board of Trustees – $50
- Other Non-Profit – $50
- For-Profit Organization – $100
Instructions for Registering an Organizational “Bundle” Membership
One person from the organization should apply for the Organizational “Bundle” Membership. It should be a library staff member for Library Organization Staff bundle; a friends member for the Friends Group bundle; a board member for the Board of Trustees bundle, etc. Please note, you cannot manage more than one bundle. You cannot manage a bundle and also have an individual membership.
As the bundle administrator, complete the Organizational “Bundle” Membership form with your information, and indicate the total number of NELA extended memberships you are purchasing for the organization in the slot marked NELA Memberships. Once you, as the bundle administrator, submit the membership application, you will receive an invoice that includes the total for the group membership AND the number of NELA memberships you have chosen.
Now it is time to add members to your bundle. Log into your bundle administrator account, scroll down to “Bundle Summary,” click on the green box labeled ADD MEMBER, and input the name and email of that member. Return to your profile by clicking the “return to bundle list and your own profile” link, and repeat this procedure for each member of your bundle. New bundle members can have different join dates but will share a single renewal date.
As bundle administrator, you can input all the information for each member. Or, you can ask each member to log into their account to add their address and the sections in which they would like to participate. When the member inputs their email from the login page, they can click on “Forgot Password” in order to set their password.
- NELA Extended Membership at $20 annually per person ($15 for individual members in the student, retiree, friend, trustee, or unemployed membership categories). Those managaing an organizational “bundle” membership should choose the number of NELA Extended Memberships wanted for their group on the Wild Apricot membership application, then email the names of those applying to the membership chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org
- VLA News, our member-only e-newsletter, delivered to your inbox quarterly (organizational members receive one issue to the email on file that they share with interested persons within their institution).
- Free self-registration for the VTlibraries listserv, as well as other online communities.
- Access to the Vermont Library Substitute Pool, either as a potential employer or temp/sub employee.
- Recognition at the Vermont Library Conference in five award categories, as well as for non-VLA achievements, such as receiving the Vermont Department of Libraries’ Certificate of Public Librarianship.
- Fun meeting librarians statewide.
- Registration discounts on the annual Vermont Library Association Conference and VLA Section and Committee events.
- Joint membership with ALA at a significantly reduced rate for qualifying students enrolled in MLS/MLIS, CAEP, and LTA programs.
- Reduced membership registration for the Vermont Golden Dome Children’s Book Award conference.
- The opportunity to attend the New England Library Leadership Symposium (NELLS) with financial support.
- Discounted tuition for Drexel University’s online Master’s in Library and Information Science.
- Eligibility for professional development scholarships, including up to $1,500 for an MLS/MLIS/MSLIS degree.
- Mentorship opportunities with other VLA librarians.
- Voting rights on VLA ballots, and an invitation to serve on the VLA Board.
- Registration discounts on the annual Vermont Library Conference and VLA Section and Committee events for up to two people (excluding for-profit organizations).
- Reduced membership registration for the Vermont Golden Dome Children’s Book Award conference for up to two people (excluding for-profit organizations).
Your membership supports state-wide initiatives and advocacy for libraries and librarians in a number of ways:
- The John Swan Intellectual Freedom Fund is administered through VLA, coordinating a lecture series that brings nationally known speakers to Vermont.
- Our salary compensation research, which we provide to librarians, trustees, and employers.
- VLA officers represent our interests on the New England Library Association (NELA) and American Library Association (ALA) boards.
- VLA advocates for libraries with state and federal government officials, as well as individual libraries faced with reading materials challenges, difficulties in information access, protection of patron privacy rights, and related issues.
Need More Information?
See our Membership FAQs.
Still have questions? Contact the Membership and Outreach Committee. We’re here to help.
Susan Larson, MLIS
Membership and Outreach Committee Chair
Last updated May 25, 2021.