The Vermont Library Association (VLA) is an all-volunteer run organization, with more than 300 members. Membership is open to absolutely everyone. We couldn’t operate without your support! Join or renew today by completing the application on our Wild Apricot membership software.
VLA membership is rolling, which means renewal occurs annually on the date of your payment (versus the first of the year). Dues currently range from $25 to $50 for individual memberships, and from $50 to $100 for institutional memberships. Individual members qualify for extended membership at a reduced rate in the New England Library Association (NELA). Library students qualify for ALA/VLA joint membership.
- Birch – $25 – Salary of $10,000 or less.
- Aspen – $35 – Salary between $10,001 and $20,000.
- Maple – $50 – Salary of $20,001 or greater.
- Linden – $25 – Non-employed member.
- Ash – $25 – Retired member.
- Cedar – $25 – Trustee or Friend member.
- Sugar Maple – Variable – Library student ALA/VLA joint member.
Organizational “Bundle” Memberships
- Library Organization – $50
- Friends Group – $50
- Board of Trustees $50
- Other Non-Profit – $50
- For-Profit Organization – $100
- VLA News, our member-only e-newsletter, delivered to your inbox quarterly (institutional members receive one issue to the email on file that they share with interested persons within their institution).
- Free self-registration for the VTlibraries listserv, as well as other online communities.
- Access to the Vermont Library Substitute Pool, either as a potential employer or temp/sub employee.
- Recognition at the Vermont Library Conference in five award categories, as well as for non-VLA achievements, such as receiving the Vermont Department of Libraries’ Certificate of Public Librarianship.
- Fun meeting librarians statewide.
- Registration discounts on the annual Vermont Library Association Conference and VLA Section and Committee events.
- NELA Extended Membership for individual members at rate of $20 annually ($15 for VLA’s Student, Retiree, Friend, Trustee, or Unemployed membership categories). Institutional memberships are not eligible.
- Joint membership with ALA at a significantly reduced rate for qualifying students enrolled in MLS/MLIS, CAEP, and LTA programs.
- Reduced membership registration for the Vermont Golden Dome Children’s Book Award conference.
- The opportunity to attend the New England Library Leadership Symposium (NELLS) with financial support.
- Discounted tuition for Drexel University’s online Master’s in Library and Information Science.
- Eligibility for professional development scholarships, including up to $1,500 for an MLS/MLIS/MSLIS degree.
- Mentorship opportunities with other VLA librarians.
- Voting rights on VLA ballots, and an invitation to serve on the VLA Board.
- Registration discounts on the annual Vermont Library Conference and VLA Section and Committee events for up to two people (excluding for-profit organizations).
- Reduced membership registration for the Vermont Golden Dome Children’s Book Award conference for up to two people (excluding for-profit organizations).
- A NELA Extended Membership for the person managing the bundle, at $20 annually. Make sure to indicate that choice on the registration form.
Your membership supports state-wide initiatives and advocacy for libraries and librarians in a number of ways:
- The John Swan Intellectual Freedom Fund is administered through VLA, coordinating a lecture series that brings nationally known speakers to Vermont.
- Our salary compensation research, which we provide to librarians, trustees, and employers.
- VLA officers represent our interests on the New England Library Association (NELA) and American Library Association (ALA) boards.
- VLA advocates for libraries with state and federal government officials, as well as individual libraries faced with reading materials challenges, difficulties in information access, protection of patron privacy rights, and related issues.
Need More Information?
See our Membership FAQs.
Still have questions? Contact the Membership and Outreach Committee. We’re here to help.
Susan Larson, MLIS
Membership and Outreach Committee Chair
Last updated April 7, 2021.