How To Join
We couldn’t operate without your support! Join today by filling out the online membership form:
Membership in VLA is rotating. Dues schedules currently range from $15 – $35 for individual members and $50 – $100 for institutions.
The Vermont Library Association (VLA) is an all-volunteer run organization that is over 300 members strong! Membership is open to absolutely everyone. The list of benefits is growing all the time and currently includes:
- The VLA News, our member-only e-newsletter, is delivered to your inbox quarterly (institutional members get one issue sent to the email on file that they share with interested persons within their institution).
- Sign yourself up for the VTlibraries listserv, as well as other online communities.
- Access to the Vermont Library Substitute Pool, either as a potential employer or temp/sub employee.
- Members are honored at the Vermont Library Conference via VLA annual awards, as well as non-VLA achievements, such as receiving Vermont Department of Libraries Certification.
- Have fun meeting librarians statewide!
- Registration discounts on the annual Vermont Library Conference and VLA Section & Committee events.
- NELA Extended Membership at a significantly reduced rate for any individual member.
- Joint membership with ALA at a significantly reduced rate for qualifying student members.
- Reduced membership registration for the Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award Conference.
- The opportunity to attend the New England Library Leadership Symposium (NELLS) with financial support.
- 20% off tuition at Drexel for an MS in Library & Information Science and/or Information Systems.
- Eligibility for scholarships, including up to $1500.00 for an MLS/MLIS/MSLIS degree.
- Mentor or be mentored by other VLA member librarians.
- Voting rights on VLA ballots and an invitation to serve on the VLA Board
Your membership supports state-wide initiatives and advocacy for libraries & librarians in a number of ways:
- The John Swan Intellectual Freedom Fund is administered through VLA, coordinating a lecture series that brings nationally known speakers to Vermont.
- We research salary compensation and provide that information to librarians, trustees, and employers.
- VLA Officers represent our interests on the New England Library Association (NELA) and American Library Association (ALA) boards.
- VLA advocates for libraries with state and federal government officials as well as individual libraries faced with reading materials challenges, difficulties in information access, protection of patron privacy rights, and related issues.
Need More Information?
Contact the Membership & Outreach Committee, we’re always happy to talk about your membership!
Membership & Outreach Chair