Massachusetts Library Association Technical Services Section proudly presents â€œIntroduction to Library Digitizationâ€, a one day program on Tuesday October 28th, 2008, at the Worcester Public Library (open to non-MLA members).Â This program will cover what libraries need to consider before starting a digitization project.Â The speakers will be Massachusetts librarians who have successfully implemented digitization projects at their libraries.Â
The sessions will be:
Virtual Archives: Preparing to Create a Digital Collection
Speaker: Gregor Trinkaus-Randall, M.A.L.S., C.A., F.S.A. Scot
Preservation Specialist, Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners
9:15 a.m.- 10:30 a.m.
Digitizing Dissertations at UMass Worcester
Speakers, Mary Piorun, MLS, AHIP
Associate Director for Technology Initiatives and Resource Management, Lamar Soutter Library, University of Massachusetts, Worcester
Lisa Palmer, MLS
Catalog Librarian, Lamar Soutter Library, University of Massachusetts, Worcester
10:30 a.m.-11:45 a.m.
Digital Copyright in the 21st Century
Speaker: Andrew D. Epstein, J.D.
Barker, Epstein & Loscocco
Copyright and Trademark Law; General Civil Litigation; Photography and Visual Art Law; Publishing and Licensing Agreements; General Business, Corporate and Real Estate Law
1:00 p.m. -2:15 p.m.
The day will end with a panel discussion with Massachusetts & Connecticut librarians on:
* How libraries actually began their digitization projectÂ
* The issues faced by librarians doing real projects
* Project planning and management
* Hardware needs
* Copyright considerations
* Metadata Standards used for data creation
2:30 p.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Dodie Gaudet, Consultant for Bibliographic & Technical Services, Central Mass. Regional Library System; Kristi Chadwick, Access Services Supervisor, C/WMARS; Jeffrey Monseau, Archivist, Springfield College speaking on Central Mass Memory Project to Â increase the holdings of Digital Treasures (http://dlib.cwmars.org/)
- Kathy Foulke, Connecticut History Online project director.
- Leone E. Cole, Library Director, Watertown Free Public Library on Watertownâ€™s Online Image Collection.
Date/time:Â October 28.Â 9:00a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Worcester Public Library, Saxe Room
3 Salem Sq
Worcester, MA 01608
Map and directions:Â http://www.worcpublib.org/
Metered parking at 50 cents per hour.Â
Early bird registration: (before Oct 1st)
$40.00 per person
$30.00 for MLA members
After October 1st:
$45.00 per person
$35.00 for MLA members
Deadline to register:
October 14, 2008
Early bird deadline is October 1, 2008
Catering by: by Eric’s LaPatisserie CafÃ©
1. Please send your check made payable to the Massachusetts Library Association to:
Attn: MLA-TSS program
29 Harding Rd
Needham MA 02492
Or register online at http://www.masslib.org/tss/
2. Please fill out the information below and send it with your check
If you would like a vegetarian meal, please check here ___
For registration questions, please contact:Â [email protected]