Have you heard of “Geek the Library”?
It’s an awareness campaign for public libraries, from OCLC and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. It is also coming to a close soon and we’d like all Vermont public libraries to learn about it and consider participating.
We are very happy to have Jennifer Powell of Geek the Library coming to Vermont to offer 2 sessions about Geek, April 30.
The first session will be held at the Dorothy Alling Memorial Library in Williston from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
The second session that day will be Brown Public Library in Northfield from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
What is a “Geek the Library” campaign?
- Geek the Library provides materials and ideas for your local campaigns but you are not required to do any particular activities – you can customize for your town and library. Even very small libraries can use the campaign and integrate it in simple ways to build awareness.
- You need not have completed Turning the Page or other advocacy training in order to effectively use the campaign – 11 Vermont libraries have or are currently participating in Geek with or without other training. However, if you have completed Turning the Page, this is a terrific place to start in working community awareness of your library with very little project creation on your own.
- This is a fun campaign, asking for nothing, but building awareness of all the library can offer the community and bringing them in to the conversation.
If your library decides to join the Geek the Library campaign you will receive:
- Free planning resources-event strategy, gathering and organizing local information
- Help with local advertising and events
- Resources to download artwork and print marketing materials, as well as resources to resize templates or other materials, if needed.
- GTL Web page that can be adopted for your individual library
- Free PR and promotional material
- Access to GTL database that includes marketing, data and other resources
To register for the workshops:
Geek the Library – Williston April 30, Dorothy Alling Memorial Library, Williston from 10:00 to 12:00
Geek the Library – Northfield April 30, Brown Public Library, Northfield from 2:00 to 4:00
If you cannot attend one of the two half-day workshops but would like to participate in or to learn more about the “Geek the Library” campaign, please go to:
Remember that you can always join Geek the Library campaign on your own and still attend the workshop and talk to Jenny from Geek campaign.
If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact Michael.email@example.com (802-748-3428) or Christine.firstname.lastname@example.org (802-828-2714) to discuss Geek the Library.