Application Deadline Date: 05/19/2022
Req ID: 33742
Location: Barre, VT, US
Position Type: Permanent
Schedule Type: Full Time
Hourly Rate: $18.48
The Vermont Department of Libraries encourages candidates with high-level administrative skills and library experience to apply for this key position in the Department’s Library Advancement (LA) division.
The Library Advancement (LA) Assistant provides general administrative support to the division consultants and the Assistant State Librarian for Library Advancement. They support event and program planning, materials processing, and data tracking for the Department’s summer reading and book award programs. They also aid with continuing education workshops and conferences, as well as outreach activities for inclusive services. The LA Assistant manages the school and public library movie license and state park/historic sites pass programs. As a member of the Department’s communications team, the person in this position represents the Department statewide as the communications and social media coordinator. Under the supervision of the Assistant State Librarian for Library Advancement, they develop and execute the Department’s social media strategy. They also compile and edit the departmental monthly newsletter, as well as other regular communications. The LA Assistant serves as the backup to the Department’s other administrative staff.
This job calls for a well-organized individual with the natural ability to handle diverse and quickly changing tasks.
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities
Successful candidates will have
• Strong computer skills and the ability to learn and use new technologies;
• excellent written and verbal communication skills;
• solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 products;
• the ability to work independently and to assume responsibility for assigned tasks and projects;
• the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with members of the department and of the library community, as well as the public;
• experience managing social media (Facebook, Instagram) for an organization or business;
• outstanding organizational skills and the ability to follow complex and detailed oral and written instructions; and
• an interest in libraries, books, and reading.
Who May Apply
This position, Library Advancement Assistant (Job Requisition #33742), is open to all State employees and external applicants.
If you would like more information about this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that multiple positions in the same work location may be filled from this job posting.
Resumes will not be accepted via e-mail. You must apply online to be considered.
Work is performed generally in an office or library environment, open to and accessible by the public. This position requires extensive use of computer technology, office software applications, internet searching, and use of library information technology. Incumbents must be able to meet and deal with the public in a professional manner and provide good customer service. Some travel may be necessary for which private means of transportation should be available. Some positions may Saturday or evening work.
Bachelor’s degree AND six (6) months or more of work experience in an environment with customer or public service and with information technology OR six (6) months or more of library experience which has included duties other than those considered to be strictly clerical.
Bachelor’s degree which has included a course in library science.
- A degree in the humanities, social sciences, or arts.
- working knowledge of library practices, systems, and procedures;
- an understanding of library services and programming;
- website management experience;
- marketing and communications experience; and
- knowledge of children’s and youth literature.
As a State employee you are offered a great career opportunity, but it’s more than a paycheck. The State’s total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits that are worth about 30% of your total compensation, including:
- 80% State paid medical premium
- Dental Plan at no cost for employees and their families
- Flexible Spending healthcare and childcare reimbursement accounts
- Two ways to save for your retirement: A State defined benefit pension plan and a deferred compensation 457(b) plan
- Work/Life balance: 11 paid holidays each year and a generous leave plan; many jobs also allow for a flexible schedule
- Low cost group life insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Incentive-based Wellness Program
- Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
– Posted 5/12/22