The Waterbury Public Library is seeking a part-time Tech Librarian. This position is 22 hours per week (possibly increasing to 26 in April).
The Technology Librarian (TL) oversees all library technology. This includes monitoring the performance of public and staff computers and working closely with the IT consultant to resolve problems when they arise. The TL also maintains awareness of, assesses, and evaluates new technologies with potential applications for the library; develops digital education programs for staff and public; makes recommendations to library director concerning all aspects of technology and digital learning in the library. The Technology Librarian partners with community organizations to promote and foster digital learning opportunities, and undertakes other duties, as assigned. Managing the network is done by an outside company.
Oversee performance of public and staff computers. Troubleshoot and resolve problems, if possible. Report any that cannot be immediately resolved to the Library Director and document issues for referral to tech consultant if necessary.
The Technology Librarian will raise staff awareness of new technologies.
- Track trends and developments in new technologies and software, as well as major updates to the operating platforms of current equipment and digital services.
- Share information with staff about new and emerging technologies.
- Evaluate and recommend to the library director new technologies and tools that could be beneficial to the library.
The Technology Librarian will develop and implement training programs to support staff and public in improving their technology skills.
- Assist patrons through one-on-one sessions with technology issues including software, operating systems, smartphones (both iPhones and Android) and tablets.
- Train staff in using and promoting the devices, equipment, and digital services currently available through the library.
- Reach out to community partners to promote and facilitate the use of the library’s digital services and technology training opportunities.
The Technology Librarian will work closely with the Library Director and other staff to develop and implement the Library’s technology training opportunities for youth and adults. This will include offering classes, programs, and individual tech support for patrons.
The Technology Librarian has responsibility for updating and maintaining the Library’s website.
Documentation and Planning
- Collect and periodically report usage statistics and other relevant data.
- Participate in all aspects of the library’s technology planning.
General Library Duties
- Making sure that visitors have a positive library experience is the top priority for all Library staff. The TL will serve as back up for the Help Desk on occasion when necessitated by staff absences or other circumstances.
Bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years of experience in the computer technology field. Experience with technology in a library setting is preferred.
Desired Skills and Qualities
- Familiarity with current productivity software.
- Familiarity and skill in wise and effective use of social media.
- Knowledge of computer networking concepts and applications.
- Abundant patience, excellent communication skills, and the ability to explain technological concepts simply and interact courteously and cheerfully with library users of all ages.
- Enthusiasm for role of libraries as community hubs, digital learning centers, and transformative institutions.
22 hours per week (possibly increasing to 26 beginning in April). Eligible for paid holidays, sick and vacation time. One evening per week and one Saturday (5 hour shift) per month is required. Please send a resume, email and phone contact for 3 current references, and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Posted December 31, 2019