Summary: The Bixby Memorial Free Library is seeking an enthusiastic team player to join us as Youth Services Librarian. The successful candidate will be a self-starter excited about encouraging, inspiring and expanding a community of young readers in our five towns (Addison, Ferrisburgh, Panton, Vergennes and Waltham). This person will be passionate about engaging young people and families through engaging, energetic programs and personal connections.
Summary: The Children’s Services Librarian provides quality services to youth and families and increases the responsiveness of the library to the needs of youth and families in our community. The Youth Services Librarian partners with schools, childcare providers and other youth services organizations and communicates with individuals to identify community needs and enrichment opportunities and implement new initiatives in response. He/she is also responsible for delivering high quality traditional youth library services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, develops, budgets, and maintains all aspects of the Library’s youth collection, including audiovisual and electronic resources, using standard review sources and considering patron requests
- Collaborates with the Adult Services Librarian in collection development of the Library’s young adult materials
- Develops, plans, implements and evaluates youth programs and services
- Provides on floor interaction with youth
- Works with local schools, childcare providers and community youth organizations to provide outreach to the community
- Trains and supervises teen and pre-teen volunteers
- Performs similar or related work as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to interact meaningfully with children of all ages and personalities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including public speaking
- Highly effective collaboration skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Knowledge of current trends in children’s literature
- Skillful in learning and leveraging a range of technology, tools, and platforms for effective communications and productivity
- Has a good sense of humor and a positive, resilient spirit
Education and Experience:
- Master’s of Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent experience/certification
- Professional experience in a public library setting preferred
Physical Requirements: Work is performed under typical library and office conditions. Duties require intermittent light to moderate physical effort in carrying, lifting, or moving light-weight materials or equipment.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Catharine Hays, Director