The Norwich Public Library seeks an energetic and dedicated individual who is interested in joining our team. We are a busy library and are looking for a passionate Youth Services Assistant to become a part of our community! This position will focus on providing services and programming in the Children’s Room, but will also work within other library areas as needed.
Our ideal candidate will assist in creating and providing engaging programs for all ages (infant to teens), such as Story Times, summer reading, and family crafts – as well as brainstorming new and exciting ideas for the future. They will be creative, flexible, have a passion for children’s literature; be tech savvy, friendly and approachable to all ages.
Other job responsibilities include: community outreach, maintaining statistics, general upkeep of displays and playspace, and supporting the overall mission of the library.
This is a part-time, 20 hours per week position, reporting to the Children’s Librarian. College degree and three years of working with children are essential. Library experience, familiarity with automated circulation systems, Microsoft office products and Google Drive are a plus!
- Creative, enthusiastic, customer service-oriented person with the ability to work as a team member.
- Knowledge of youth literature, both classics and current trends.
- Capacity to nurture and respect children in order to develop lifelong readers.
- The ideal candidate must possess the ability to develop and deliver excellent customer service in a fun, warm, and welcoming environment for youth of all ages.
- A positive attitude, flexibility, the ability to lift up to 25 pounds, and a sense of humor are important.
Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday 12:00-5:30 with flexibility to shift some hours to weekends or evenings as needed for programming.
Compensation: Pay commensurate with experience. This position does provide vacation and sick leave benefits.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and three references with contact information to: [email protected]. No phone calls please.
– Updated January 27, 2020