The Norman Williams Public LIbrary in Woodstock, VT is seeking a Youth Services Librarian. Our ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic team player with an energetic spirit. This person will have excellent communication skills and an eagerness to connect with the community. If you have a passion for encouraging and inspiring young readers and a genuine care for youth we would love to hear from you.
- A bachelor’s degree and willingness to work towards a Vermont library certification.
- Two years previous library experience preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Capacity to multitask and prioritize competing demands while remaining calm, kind and positive
- Provide reader’s advisory and reference services to children and teens, and their caregivers
- Planning and conducting youth programming and summer reading programs
- Develop positive relationships with a lively after school crowd
- Assist with book ordering for youth collections
- Maintenance of youth collection
- Attend library workshops and keep abreast of changes and improvements in library science
- Assume additional duties as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Flexibility and patience
- Knowledge of youth literature
- A working knowledge of library practices and procedures
- Knowledge of current practices and trends in library services for children and young adults Skillful in learning and leveraging a range of technology, tools, and platforms for effective communications and productivity
- Good written and verbal communications skills
- A genuine care and respect for youth
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment or boxes weighing up to 30 lbs.
- Must possess physical ability to reach, bend, and lift frequently
Hours & Compensation:
This is a 30-hour per week benefited position. Saturday hours are required
Please send an email including a cover letter, resume, and three references to Clare McFarland, Director (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note, the above job description describes the general nature, tasks, responsibilities, and level of work to be performed; it is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of every responsibility, duty, and skill required for the position. Depending on organizational needs, other duties may be assigned.
The Norman Williams Public Library is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
– Posted April 1, 2021