FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Reports to: Youth Services Librarian
Details: Twenty hours, non-supervisory position
Schedule is every Saturday, 9:15-3:15 PM with an additional fourteen hours to be determined.
Under direction of the Youth Services Librarian the position focuses on the development and delivery of outreach activities that promote relationships between the Athenaeum and home school families, day care facilities, area schools, and other allied community organizations. Some activities will take place at the Athenaeum and others at remote locations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop materials and present literacy-based activities at day care facilities, area schools, and allied community organizations
- Record and report on outreach activities as needed
- Maintain reading stations at community locations
- Assist the Youth Services Librarian in with in-house programming
- Develop and maintain working relationships with school and community organizations
- Coordinate field trips to the library and schedule classroom visits
- Perform collection management and circulation desk duties including patron interaction in person and by phone, and material cataloging, processing and shelving
- Other related duties as required
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Openness, honesty and adaptability
- Timeliness, and professional attire and presentation
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with children of various ages in various settings
- Familiarity with the fast pace of public-service work
- General knowledge of library practices
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively alone and in small groups
- Fluent technology skills using Microsoft Office or comparable software
- Social media skills, and an understanding of the pitfalls of all forms of social media
Required Education and Experience:
Applicants will have a minimum of two full years of documented library service, or day care providing, or teaching support or the equivalent experience as determined by the Youth Services Librarian. Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation for outreach locations. The person offered this position will have to pass a criminal background check.
To Apply: Email Athenaeum Director Bob Joly firstname.lastname@example.org. Use Outreach Associate in the subject line. Include: (1) a cover letter, (2) recent work history, and (3) three non-family references.
St. Johnsbury Athenaeum embraces diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity. We do not discriminate against applicants in any protected category covered by local, state or federal laws. If you need an accommodation to apply contact Bob Joly.